Tuesday, March 15, 2005

It just so happens that the birth of hip hop is a mirror image of my life, especially my early youth. I say that because we were conceived around the same time and at the height of my adolescence, hip hop was in its adolescence. The similarities of our development are so synonymous, that it can be easy to forget that hip hop was only an art form, and not a closely related sibling. Be that as it may, it is not coincidental that in my formidable years, rap was at the center of my universe.

The formidable years of hip hop are known as the Golden Age. According to AMG, All Music Guide, during this period in the late 80’s and early 90’s, the best recordings from some of the biggest rappers in history were forged. It is clear that rap was an open forum and freedom of expression was unfettered with a microphone in hand. During this period rap was innocent and there were not many world views, pretenses, or expectations placed on the artists. I can relate this circumstance with the earliest parts of my youth, and I can recognize why such conditions are so desirable to an individual seeking to define one’s self. These were the very conditions that allowed rappers, and rap itself to flourish. And flourish we did, together.

With the open channels of expression, youthful exuberance was translated into raw ambition. Even though there seemed to be plenty of microphones to go around, resources were still scarce. This ambition carried on despite the lack of resources, and perhaps in part because of the challenges it presented. There would be no acknowledgment of defeat. There couldn’t be. The path had been blazed and now the flame of creativity was carried forth by the skillsmen of the trade, and the very art form itself. Not surprisingly I found myself with the same assurance and creativity in my mid-adolescence. I had hope in the future, my future, and the determination to overcome the obstacles that loomed ahead. As life’s challenges rose up like weeds threatening to choke out youthful ambition, I maintained a steely determination to prevail. And it was not merely a resolution to succeed but a determination to triumph.

At the close of my adolescence, I had virtually remained unnoticed on the world’s radar, just as hip hop had. Yet there was break-through in rap with the release of Dr. Dre’s album “The Chronic”, and hip hop has since exploded in popularity and engulfed popular culture. And even I myself have experienced some recognition and success in the following years. However it can be certain that difficult trials still loom ahead, but without a doubt, I will never relinquish my determination to triumph. For these reasons, I strongly identify with the Golden Age of hip hop.

Hip hop was very special to me in my youth. As we progressed together, three factors clearly emerged which should be noted as essential to the development of a youth. The first of such is freedom of expression. This avenue was forged by some of the greatest rappers in history such as: L.L. Cool J, Public Enemy, and BDP, as they opened up the paths that others were sure to follow. Secondly, ambition surged ahead on the shoulders of creativity, and through the new breed of rappers who added to the art form. And lastly, a determination to triumph emerged, which is the natural culmination and destination of positive growth. It is for these reasons, the Golden Age of hip hop defines my life and times, and the image I see in the mirror can easily be heard on any old school cassette tape.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was absolutely excellent to read. so much better than simply saying 'music is a big part of my entire life.'

you astound me at every turn, meeks.

-beth

Anonymous said...

not only a poet, but an essayist also? how bout that. keep me posted when you get published okay?